welcome to my blog

designing and building with wood channels my creativity and challenges my mind.
This blog is a record of my life in my studio.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mahogany and bamboo stand

I had some extra mahogany and bamboo plywood lying around the shop, so I decided to make a stand for a 40 gallon breeder tank.  This project represents a couple of firsts for me: it's the first time I re-sawed thick stock to make up thinner boards, and the first time I've used curved parts in a design. 

The curves are found on the face of the door.  They were made on the bandsaw by first cutting the curve, then re-sawing the milled part in half the long way, creating two matched pieces. 

The 3/4" frame parts (making up the legs and the door) were all re-sawn from 1 3/4" thick mahogany stock.

The size of the stand was limited by the length of mahogany stock I had available.  The lumber was purchased from my local Rockler store as shorts (4 feet and shorter), and cost a mere $2 per board foot.  I only had one 4' piece, hence the need to re-saw it into thinner boards.  This way, I had enough long boards to make all of the leg components.

Although I could have used white, "natural" bamboo plywood, I also had a sheet of "carbonized" plywood, which I chose for this project.  I felt that the white-and-mahogany color scheme would have been too loud, so I opted for a more muted two-tone look.  I didn't stain either the mahogany or the plywood, instead laying down a sealer coat of de-waxed shellac.  This gave everything a deeper, more yellow cast.  The final color scheme of the piece may not appeal to everybody.  But it does have a certain tropical look, which I like.

Pics of the finished piece will be posted as soon as it's done.







No comments:

Post a Comment