welcome to my blog

designing and building with wood channels my creativity and challenges my mind.
This blog is a record of my life in my studio.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Custom 120 Cabinet & Canopy


>>>> Click here for the photo album of the project, step-by-step <<<<

I recently completed a custom cabinet and canopy for a 120 gallon aquarium.  The project represents several firsts for me, and is also the best aquarium cabinet I've made, with dozens of unique features for major load-bearing applications.  Apart from the design, the fit and finish on this cabinet are among my best work.  The doors, for example,
fit perfectly, with an even 1/16" gap all the way around.

But perhaps the most important "first" is the fact that, for the first time, I took photos of the entire process, at nearly every step of the way.  The result is a an album of over 150 photos, showing all of the important design elements, including important joinery that is hidden from view in the final piece.  There are also many photos showing how I set up my machines, and how I used the hand tools, to get precise results.

I hope the photos are interesting to the average person.  I know that anybody considering grabbing some wood and building an aquarium stand will find the photos illuminating.  

Click the link to the photo album here.  Once my clients have set the tank up, I'll add pictures of the finished installation to the album, so check back in a couple of weeks!  Also, stay tuned for a slideshow of the photo album, with voice over narration.

You know I love those voice overs.

No comments:

Post a Comment