welcome to my blog

designing and building with wood channels my creativity and challenges my mind.
This blog is a record of my life in my studio.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Fostex Open Baffle Speaker Project Complete!

I had "finished" these open baffle speakers some time ago.  But it wasn't until last week that I was able to rub out the lacquer finish, install the Fostex FE206e full range drivers, and power them up.

Overall I am very happy.  I took the new speakers home, and switched them with a pair of Snell Type K/IIIs I had as my main left/right speakers.



These open baffle speakers don't make much bass - you need to either use subwoofers or leave yourself a good 45 minutes to let your ears grow accustomed to the lack of bass.  At the same time, they don't sparkle the way the Snell K's can.  In their dynamic range, however, these speakers are remarkably flat and smooth, and easy on the ears.  They sound great.  I use them with a pair of CSW SW1 bass-reflex subwoofers, and with the subs my new open baffle speakers sound full and warm and clear.  In fact, Maja thinks they sound a lot like our old Paradigm Studio Monitors.  She's right, though it's amazing that these single-driver speakers sound as good as Paradigm's $4,000, 3-way towers.

 The lacquer finish is almost perfect.  Success!

to see larger images, just click on the picture.  some are very hi-res.











3 comments:

  1. I saw these at the shop and the finish looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sick!! Looks like some nice stuff u are puttin out. Keep up the good work. I'd still like to mill some wod out for you. B~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realize I'm late to the party but these are strikingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete