welcome to my blog

designing and building with wood channels my creativity and challenges my mind.
This blog is a record of my life in my studio.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bookshelf Number Two

After the success of my first bookshelf - which i made from plans, and which used dado grooves to hold the shelves - I decided to do the same shelf again - but this time using through-tenons and mortises to hold the top and bottom shelves, and using three (yes, three) different woods in the construction.  I was going for an art-deco look.  And I got it.  But in the end, it was too gaudy for my taste and I let it go to some friends who really liked it. 

Above: my first bookshelf.  Finished in satin poly/oil finish, and with the top back-piece finished in super-shiny, thick epoxy glaze.  On the right is a close-up of the glazed top backing.

Below: My second bookshelf.  Wood used is curly maple, mahogany, and purple heart.  The cross-shapes on the sides are created when the vertical strips of purple heart cross over the mahogany through-tenons of the top and bottom shelves.  NOTE: this pic is BEFORE I added the "art-deco" style crown of vertical pieces. 


Next stop on the cabinetry train: the ultimate stereo component rack :)

-isaac

No comments:

Post a Comment